Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Red Letter Day!!!

Today was a Red Letter Day!! I got a hug from one of the prettiest little old ladies I've ever seen. Beautiful alabaster skin...twinkly blue eyes...skin so soft you thought it was whipped cream...beautiful worn hands...an excitement in her step and an eagerness in her face to embrace life. She was in her mid 80's. I work with visually impaired people to help them stay independent and in their own homes. Seldom are my clients completely blind. Usually they have an eye disease that's at least lets them see light.

This lady today, was brought in to our office by her daughter to see what we could do to help her. She just wanted to read again...that's all. My boss and I helped her with magnifiers, enrolled her in a program to receive free books (on loan) delivered to her door, free directory assistance, means to write grocery lists...sign a check...sew on a button... Empowerment over her own life! Oh the look on her face that she could read again! The good news is that we have magnifiers that will help her for years to come.... When she left our office...she had a smile on her face Texas big! She reached up and hugged me (and I'm not a tall woman!!) and couldn't thank me enough. She asked her daughter if she would take her to get some quilt fabric...she was going to sew!!! Being an avid reader and my love of sewing, I knew how she felt.

What a wonderfully fulfilling day!!

2 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kool, hugs

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home