Saturday, April 29, 2006

Grandmother Time

Friday nights is grandmother time here at my apartment. I pick up my two grand daughters, Mandy and Megan, ages 3 1/2 and 5 at daycare on Friday's around 5. They slam into me with abandon squeeling my name and hug and kiss me. It's awesome! We gather their stuff and get in my van and go to the grocery store for Cheetos and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. What decent grandmother can she be if not for these two items? If I don't pick something up for supper at the store that they are asking for, we go out to eat. They don't eat what they order and it's a total waste of money to take them, but the time we spend at a nice restaurant is special talk time.

Then we run any errands that need to be done and we come home and get our jammies on and play. And play. And play. And play. Their most important thing to do is the three of us lay on my bed and I tickle them. It has to be my hand up in the air and slowly, ever so slowly come down while they watch my hand coming down and squeeling 'no, no, no' till I make noises and tickle them. Over and over and over. We then get out the playdoh or crayons or paints or sewing or whatever new I'm introducing them to and we make stuff until there is such a mess made that it looks like a tornado hit the place.

Next is the Cheetos and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough time. Megan on the sofa and Mandy on my rocker-recliner and some gory crime show. The more blood and guts the show has, the better the girls like it and the more I have to explain what part of the human anatomy that particular part comes from. Sometimes they get up and play later and sometimes they fall asleep. Sometimes we all three pile into bed and read. The best part is when they tell me it's time to go to sleep. They each start telling me they love me and I tell them I love them over and over and over. Sleeping with two wigglyworms is an experience all on it's own. I've finally mastered sleeping with a knee in my back or both rolling up under me. Actually, it's more like I pass out than sleep. Mandy is like me with vivid dreams all night long and talking in her sleep. They both get thirsty all night long. Sometimes I just wake up and watch them sleep. I know these days are numbered and all too soon they will be grown, but for now I watch two angels sleeping.

I wake early and enjoy the quiet and let them sleep till they wake on their own. Next is cartoon time and of course waffle time and we start the day. Baths, doing their hair and polishing nails and girlstuff. We play until they leave at around 5:30 or so when my daughter gets off work and comes to pick them up. By this time, I'm glad to see the door shut and sit and listen to the quiet for a bit till I get up and clean up the tornado.

The memories we're making! I wouldn't trade them for all the tea in China!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home